Name of project : SUPERB MSE : POTENTIAL LOCAL MEDICINAL HERB AS ANALGESICS SUBSTITUTE FOR MORPHINE TO ALLEVIATE PAIN. Summary of the project : A plant called Mitragyna Speciosa Korth or commonly called “ketum” by the locals became the marker plant of this project. This plant has been consume traditionally by the local to treat illnesses such as …View full post
Name of project :
SUPERB MSE : POTENTIAL LOCAL MEDICINAL HERB AS ANALGESICS SUBSTITUTE FOR MORPHINE TO ALLEVIATE PAIN.
Summary of the project :
A plant called Mitragyna Speciosa Korth or commonly called “ketum” by the locals became the marker plant of this project. This plant has been consume traditionally by the local to treat illnesses such as fever and diarrhea. Plus, the labors in our country also consumed the water-boiled of this plant to increase their energy. So, this research was conducted to investigate whether this plant can be a substitute to morphine which is nowadays the most potent painkiller in this world. The extract of the plant was produced before it was used to conduct a few tests to check on its effect compared to morphine. As a conclusion, the results showed that mitragynine which was the active compound in the plant also gave the same analgesics effect same as in morphine. The product was then called SUPERB MSE. The whole project was conducted in collaboration with Prof Sharif Mahsufi Mansur from the Drug Research Centre, University Sains Malaysia (USM) who is also the ex-student of the school. The students were supervised by a team of innovation teachers.;Mrs. Zuraini Binti Johari, Mrs. Noor Salawati Ahmad, Mrs. Noraini Mohd Ismail and Mr. Teoh Hooi Eng . The project started in March 2010 and was done in March 2011.
Uniqueness of the product :
- It can be used to substitute morphine in relieving pain as all know that morphine can cause addiction and fatal if taken overdose.
- It is locally made up of the extract of “ketum” plant which can be found abundantly in north Malaysia and South Thailand. Thus, a lot of money could be saves if the product is being used instead of importing morphine.
Award Received :
- Gold award and Young Scientist Award in Pertandingan Rekacipta & Inovasi sains SBP kali ke 11, 20111.
- Gold Award in Asian Youth Inventors Exhibition (AYIE) 2011.
- Gold Award in International Youth Invention Exhibition ( IYIE) 2012, Tainan, Taiwan & Best International Invention from Hong Kong Invention Association.
- Bronze Medal in International Sustainable World ( Energy, Engineering & Environment) Project Olympiad (I-SWEEEP), Houston, Texas, USA , 2012.
- Gold Award & Best Invention Award For Secondary School in Innovation Platform, 2012.
- Gold Award & Special Award in European Exhibition of Creativity & Innovation (EuroInvent) 2013, Romania.
- Silver Award for Poster Category & Silver Award for Presentation Category in Malaysia Conference For Young Scientist (MYCYS) 2015.
- Gold Award & Special Young Innovation Award in National Innovation & Invention Competition Through Exhibition ( i-CompEx’15 ).
- Exhibitors representing Sektor Sekolah Berasrama Penuh during Teacher’s Day Festival for National level 2015.